What do you call a place where…
– You can go live in an isolated location with a group of people that think, talk and believe just like you
– You are given a strong sense of belonging and a new “family” (core)
– You develop a strong sense of us vs. them and think of yourself as elite – a cut above the rest of society
– Nearly every moment of your day is scheduled for you and no deviations are acceptable (except for severe illness or injury)
– You have no privacy
– You must report weekly to your superiors regarding your personal spiritual life
– You have no ability to earn money
– Your access to the internet is limited
– Your access to television is limited or non-existent
– Your access to music and books is limited to approved items only
– Questions or dissent are discouraged
– Your access to romantic relationships is strictly controlled
– Your choice of friends is controlled
And last of all…
You know all of this and choose to go there anyway.
What do you call that?
Sociologists, psychologists and psychiatrists call it a cult.
So do I.