This is a list of resources that I’ve found helpful on my journey to recovery. This isn’t a comprehensive list by any means but these are the ones that stick out most to me when I think about my recovery. Feel free to share anything in the comments that you’ve found healing.
– Freedom of Mind Center, Steve Hassan
– Stages of Cult Recovery from the Cult Help and Awareness Library
– Dallas Cult Experts, Doug and Wendy Duncan
– Provender: A Clearing House of Spiritual Abuse Resources
– Biblical Response to Spiritual Abuse via the Watchman
1) Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by Jeff Van Vonderen
2) 12 Christian Beliefs that Can Drive you Crazy by Cloud and Townsend
3) Any book by Brennan Manning especially The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus. Every book is saturated in grace and tells of a Jesus who frees us from our self-loathing.
Churches That Abuse by Ronald Enroth is a great book that I’ve referenced here before. It gives a rundown of abusive practices and characteristics to help you understand what you have experienced. He has also written Recovering From Churches That Abuse.
Both of these titles are out of print but you can buy used copies or email me and I will send you a FREE digital pdf of the books. My address is recoveringalumni at hotmail dot com.
So You Don’t Wanna Go to Church Anymore by Wayne Jacobsen, follows the journey of a man who slowly discovers that Christianity is not about ethics, but about love. Though he is in full timme ministry at a thriving church, his efforts to control both his behavior and other’s leads only to emptiness and futility. A great read that will refresh your spirit and help you think about things in a new way.
Also by Wayne Jacobsen,He Loves Me is a radical reorientation of the Christian life from effort and performance to resting in God’s love. Each page is dripping with grace and mercy. You can download the first edition for free if you follow the link. (Note: click the title not the book image)